Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Not-So-Pick-Me-Up

I was walking to the grocery store last week and was the recipient to a chorus of "Ay, Mami!!" The fact that it's inappropriate and the speakers were creepy is not what bothered me. I can't help but get offended at the recognition word's English oronym.
"Excuse me? Did you just call me MOMMY?"
Now if you want to effectively drive-by hit on me, at least use the word "sexy" because then you're not saying that I look as though I bore children. You'd might as well have said that I have nice thunder thighs.
More over, don't call me sexy when I'm in old sweatpants on my way home from the gym. I look gross and I know it. I just wish you did too. Call me "Mommy" again, and I'm tossing the groceries and heading back to the gym.
I guess I am making these statements as though I have never been hit on before. I have, as in DC it's pretty common. I guess regardless of how often it occurs, I still find myself asking why social norms aren't the norm? When did yelling at strangers become acceptable?
My mother came to visit me recently. We were walking to my neighborhood coffee shop when a man stopped us on the street,
"I just want to let you know that you are absolutely gorgeous." My mother smiled,
"Oh, we know..."
As we walked away she pointed out, "It's got to be hard to have low self esteem here." Yeah, yeah...he didn't call you "Mommy" (and you are one)!

The best man I have found yet...quiet, stable, and tall.
Add Image

No comments:

Post a Comment